Full Time Children’s Librarian — Position available due to staff retirement
Collingswood Public Library seeks a collaborative, energetic, community-oriented candidate to join the library’s Youth Services team.
The role of the Children’s Librarian is to empower children from infant through pre-teen to become creative thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and resourceful users of information.
Partnering with an enthusiastic team of Youth Services colleagues, the Children’s Librarian will provide direct customer service in reference, reader’s advisory, programming and circulation functions, as well as assisting customers in the use of library resources and technologies.
The Children’s Librarian will:
- Collaborate with department staff to develop, promote and facilitate innovative programs to build literacy and a love of reading to meet the expressed and anticipated needs of the community’s children, parents, and childcare providers, including storytimes and other early literacy programs, STEM programs, summer reading events, Collingswood Book Festival, and a variety of other programs both in the library and throughout the community.
- Conduct outreach and create partnerships with schools and other community organizations.
- Shape and maintain the Children’s collection, ensuring it is diverse, current, relevant and meets the needs of the community.
- Work to engage children with the collection in ways that allow them to follow their interests and discover new ones.
- Encourage digital literacy and provides age-appropriate technology instruction to children.
- Develop and maintain content for social media, the library’s website, and other marketing areas.
- Maintain a working knowledge of trends in children’s literature, youth services and the library profession through webinars, conferences, and professional literature.
- Compile statistics on attendance of all children’s programs for monthly and yearly reports.
- Under supervision of the director, co-manage the Youth Services budget.
Successful candidates will be passionate, creative team players with excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills. They must possess strong multi-tasking, organizational and technology skills.
This position requires an ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies and a minimum of 1-2 years’ experience working as a Librarian in Youth Services.
Physical Duties: lifting up to 15 lbs.; sitting and standing for periods of time; daily use of a computer
Collingswood Public Library provides services seven (7) days a week, including weeknights. Work schedules vary and include some weekends, evenings, and holidays.
*Full-time position is 32.5 hours per week; full-time staff receive paid time off and healthcare coverage.
Please email resume, cover letter, and professional references to email@example.com by March 6th, 2020.