Title: Intern (paid) – Reference Department
Employer: Collingswood Public Library, Collingswood, NJ
Schedule: 10-15 hours per week, includes daytime shifts, evenings and weekend rotation
Duration: one year
We are seeking applicants for an internship in the Collingswood Public Library’s Reference department. During and after training, this position’s responsibilities will include:
- Assisting our neighbors and visitors with their computing needs;
- Supporting patrons in job searches and writing resumes and cover letters;
- Responding to reference questions;
- Teaching library resource use, including databases and eBooks;
- Providing reader’s advisory;
- Assisting with purchasing and weeding decisions in order to ensure the library collection addresses our neighbors’ interests and needs;
- Shelving upstairs materials and keeping collections in order;
- Basic copy cataloging;
- Supporting other departments when needed.
- Enrollment in an ALA-accredited Masters in Library or Information Science program;
- Familiarity with current and emerging technology trends, including information technology that is specific to library services;
- Proficiency in contemporary information technology, such as standard desktop hardware and software, mobile devices, and popular web-based technologies;
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of public library functions;
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and speaking;
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and the general public.
We will be accepting applications through the end of the day on August 20, 2017. To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and references either via postal mail to Carissa Schanely, Director, Collingswood Public Library, 771 Haddon Avenue, Collingswood, NJ 08108 or via email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.